Spicy Stewed Potatoes & Spinach with Buttermilk (Aloo chaas)
This stewlike potato and spinach curry can be served as a side dish or as part of a vegetarian buffet. The touch of cream prevents the buttermilk from curdling when it's heated and helps balance the heat from the pungent chiles.
Yield: 4 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 45
- 1 pound russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 dried red chiles, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol, stemmed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- Place potatoes in a medium bowl; cover with cold water to prevent browning. Place chiles in a small heatproof bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Set aside until they are reconstituted, about 15 minutes. Reserving the chile-soaking water, coarsely chop the chiles (do not seed).
- Pile cilantro, garlic, salt and the chopped chiles in a mortar. Pound the ingredients to a pulpy mass with the pestle, using a spatula to contain the mixture in the center for a concentrated pounding. (Alternatively, mince the ingredients in a food processor.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, until the garlic is honey-brown and the chiles are pungent, 1 to 2 minutes. (Make sure to use adequate ventilation.) Drain the potatoes and add along with turmeric; cook, stirring to coat the potatoes with the yellow spice, about 30 seconds. Pour in the reserved chile-soaking water and scrape the pan to loosen any browned bits; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk buttermilk and cream in a small bowl.
- When the potatoes are tender, pile the spinach leaves over them, cover and cook until the spinach is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk mixture.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Folate (31% dv), Iron (15% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat