This versatile pesto can be tossed with pasta for a quick supper or spread on crostini for a sophisticated appetizer.
From EatingWell: October 1997
Yield: About 1 1/3 cups
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, (see Tip)
- 2 slices crustless white bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup cooked spinach, (from 8 ounces frozen)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place walnuts, bread and garlic in a food processor or blender; blend until smooth. Blend in spinach, yogurt, Parmesan and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tip: To toast walnuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Nutrition Per tablespoon:
34 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 67 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat