Spring Chicken & Blue Cheese Salad
This main-dish chicken salad has bright flavors of tarragon in a creamy blue cheese dressing with just a touch of sweetness from honey.Yield: 4 servings, about 2 cups greens & 3 ounces chicken each
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 55
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (see Tips)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Creamy Blue Cheese-Tarragon Dressing
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 head butterhead lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 head radicchio, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula or mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (see Tips) and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare chicken: Combine yogurt, garlic, oil and tarragon in a large bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the bowl; turn to coat. Place the chicken in a baking dish and cover completely with the yogurt mixture.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Thinly slice the chicken when cool enough to handle.
- To prepare dressing: Mash blue cheese, oil, vinegar, tarragon and honey together in a medium bowl with a fork until well combined. For a creamier dressing, add yogurt 1 tablespoon at a time, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble salad: Gently toss lettuce, radicchio and arugula (or mixed greens) in a large bowl. Divide the greens among 4 plates, top with equal portions of the chicken, spoon 2 tablespoons of the dressing over each salad and sprinkle with walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Thick and creamy Greek-style yogurt is made by removing the whey from cultured milk. Because the whey has been removed, you can cook with Greek yogurt without the normal separation that occurs when cooking with regular yogurt.
- To toast whole nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
This Recipe Calls For:
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||29 g (6 g sat, 14 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (37% daily value), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1 vegetable, 1/2 non-fat milk, 3 lean meat, 4 fat