Asparagus, chives and fontina cheese top this easy pizza recipe. Serve with baby greens tossed with vinaigrette and pecans.
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Yield: 5 servings
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 40
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh chives (from 1 bunch), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
- Position rack in lower third of oven, place a pizza stone or large pizza pan on the rack and preheat oven to 450°F for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small bowl; set aside. Trim asparagus spears to about 6 inches long; slice any thicker stalks in half lengthwise. Toss in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 cup chives, salt and pepper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-inch circle.
- Carefully remove the pizza stone or pan from the oven and set on a heatproof surface, such as your stovetop. Place the dough on the stone or pan and brush with the reserved garlic-oil mixture. Arrange the asparagus in a circular pattern on the dough with the tips facing out. Top with cheese and the remaining chives.
- Carefully return the stone or pan to the oven and bake the pizza on the lower rack until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving: 368 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 536 mg sodium; 167 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Vitamin A (20% daily value)
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 3 fat