Delicata Squash & Tofu Curry for Two
This easy tofu curry, made with pretty delicata squash and hearty greens, cooks up in one skillet. To speed up the prep, use bagged chopped kale. Delicata squash’s thin skin is tender when it’s cooked, so there’s no need to peel—another time saver. Serve with quinoa or brown rice.
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Yield: 2 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 ounces extra-firm or firm water-packed tofu (half a 14-ounce package)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small delicata squash (about 8 ounces), halved, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons “lite” coconut milk (7 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale or chard, tough stems removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice, plus more to taste
- Combine curry powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Blot tofu dry with a paper towel and cut into 1-inch cubes; toss the tofu in a medium bowl with 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook, stirring every 2 minutes, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add squash, onion, ginger and the remaining spice mixture; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Add half the kale (or chard) and cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the rest of the greens and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Return the tofu to the pan, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the squash and greens are tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
Nutrition Per Serving: 357 calories; 23 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 8 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 824 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (599% daily value), Vitamin C (127% dv), Calcium (34% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Folate (16% dv).