“Bun” is a Vietnamese noodle dish typically made with cold rice noodles, lots of crunchy vegetables and thinly sliced beef or pork all tossed in a sweet and tangy sauce. It’s perfect for a hot summer night. Serve with sliced mango and iced mint green tea.
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Yield: Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed
- 6 ounces wide rice noodles
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup slivered fresh basil and/or mint
- 1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat to medium, add steak and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook rice noodles until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to the package directions. Drain the noodles and rinse under cold water.
- Whisk vinegar, fish sauce and sugar to taste in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Slice the steak into thin matchsticks. Add the steak and any accumulated juice to the bowl along with the noodles, cabbage, carrot, radishes, basil and/or mint and peanuts; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
Nutrition Per Serving: 344 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 751 mg sodium; 544 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (109% daily value), Zinc (24% dv), Vitamin C (23% dv), Folate & Potassium (16% dv)
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat