Stewed Okra & Tomatoes
Stewing okra with onion and tomatoes is absolutely traditional all through the South. Small amounts of meat are often added for seasoning. Add corn to this, too, if you like, and serve it over rice, hot cornbread or grits.
Yield: 6 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 70
- 4 ounces breakfast sausage, preferably spicy, casings removed if necessary
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound okra, (about 5 cups), sliced
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes, (3-4 medium)
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium tomato juice or water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1/2 minced jalapeno
- Cook sausage in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks, until it is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high; add okra, tomatoes, tomato juice (or water), salt and crushed red pepper (or jalapeno) and cook, stirring often, until bubbling. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and the vegetables are very tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (18% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat