Slow-Cooker Stout & Chicken Stew
Chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without getting tough or drying out, which makes them perfect for the slow cooker. Here we braise them in Guinness stout along with hearty vegetables, with just the right amount of bacon for added savoriness.
Yield: 8 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 240
- 6 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 pieces bacon, chopped
- 1 2/3 cups Guinness beer or other stout (14-ounce can)
- 1 pound whole baby carrots or large carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 8-ounce package cremini or button mushrooms, halved if large
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- Combine 6 tablespoons flour with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken thighs in the mixture to coat completely; transfer to a plate.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until well browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Reduce heat to medium and repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and chicken thighs. Arrange the chicken in an even layer in the slow cooker.
- Add bacon to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup flour over the bacon and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more. Add stout and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Add carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme, spreading in an even layer over the chicken. Pour broth over the top.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is falling-apart tender, 4 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low.
- Stir in peas, cover and cook until the peas are heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Trim chicken, chop bacon; prep onion and garlic; defrost peas. Refrigerate in separate containers. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Folate & Zinc (23% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat