In this Italian stuffed eggplant recipe, fresh breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and parsley make a simple, yet delicious filling for an “inside-out” eggplant Parmesan. Serve these stuffed eggplants as a light dinner along with a big salad.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 60
- 2 small eggplants (12 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1/4 cup, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 4 large basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Halve eggplants lengthwise. Trim a little off the undersides so they lie flat. Cut around the inside edge with a paring knife to separate the flesh from the skin. Scoop out the flesh and roughly chop. Set the shells aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped eggplant and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, season with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and set aside to cool.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Season the eggplant shells with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Cook in the hot oil (in batches, if necessary), turning once, until golden brown and soft, 5 to 8 minutes. (Use caution: they will bubble and spit a little when you turn them over.) Drain on paper towels.
- Dunk breadcrumbs in a bowl of water and squeeze them out. Transfer to the bowl with the eggplant filling. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan, egg, parsley and capers. Use a spoon or your hands to thoroughly mix. Fill the eggplant shells with the stuffing and use a spoon to smooth the tops.
- Spoon 1 cup tomato sauce into an ovenproof dish big enough to fit the eggplant in one layer. Transfer the stuffed eggplant to the dish. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the remaining sauce over each and top with a basil leaf. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the filling registers 160°F, about 25 minutes.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), (Calcium, Folate & Potassium 21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat