Sugar Snap Pea & Barley Salad
You get two sides in one with this dish—whole-grain barley along with crisp matchsticks of vitamin- and fiber-rich snap peas. Serve with roasted or grilled salmon or chicken.
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Yield: 6 servings, about 2/3 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add barley and cook, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or according to package directions. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the barley under cool water and transfer to a large bowl. Add snap peas, parsley, onion, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
Nutrition Per Serving: 152 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 301 mg sodium; 108 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat