Summer Berry Shortcakes with Vanilla Sauce
Fresh-picked raspberries and blackberries spiked with raspberry liqueur make a fabulous filling for slimmed down shortcakes.
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons framboise, or kirsch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla Sauce, (recipe follows)
- To make berry filling: Combine raspberries, blackberries, sugar and framboise (or kirsch) in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To make & assemble shortcakes: Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Whisk all-purpose and cake flours, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut cream cheese into dry ingredients using a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine 3/4 cup buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a glass measuring cup. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. (Dough will be slightly sticky; do not overmix.)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. With a floured 3- or 3 1/2-inch cutter, cut out shortcakes and place on prepared baking sheet. Press dough scraps together and repeat to make 8 shortcakes.
- Brush shortcake tops with remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake shortcakes for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- To serve, split shortcakes in half with a serrated knife. Set bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon on berry filling and vanilla sauce. Set tops on at an angle. Serve immediately.
This Recipe Calls For:
Nutrition Per Serving: 348 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Calcium & Fiber (20% dv), Selenium (16% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate