Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili for Two
A rich, dark and flavorful combination of our favorite Southwestern flavors. It also doesn't hurt that sweet potatoes and black beans both make the cut as superfoods. Serve with some warmed corn tortillas and Orange & Avocado Salad.
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 2 servings, 2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and potato and cook, stirring often, until the onion is slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
- Make Ahead Tip: Add all the ingredients except the cilantro; cover and refrigerate for 2 days. Reheat, stir in the cilantro and add more lime if desired.
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
Nutrition Per serving:
374 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 15 g fiber; 699 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
312 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat