Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Hash
Quick and easy hashes are fabulous one-pot meals for those nights when getting dinner on the table fast is a priority.
From EatingWell: March 1998
Yield: 2 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sweet potato and cook, stirring, until it starts to brown in spots, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, cumin and salt; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in corn and black beans and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Per Serving: 419 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 80 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 17 g fiber; 771 mg sodium; 621 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (62% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat