Sweet-&-Sour Chicken Drumsticks
Chicken drumsticks stay deliciously moist when grilled—even with the skin removed. Minty sweet-and-sour dipping sauce adds a refreshing twist to “ordinary” grilled chicken. Make it a meal: Serve with brown rice and slices of fresh pineapple.
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 8 chicken drumsticks, (about 2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium. (No grill? See Broiler Variation, below.)
- To prepare dipping sauce, combine orange zest, orange juice, water, honey, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and coriander in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Whisk cornstarch and the remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar in a small bowl until smooth. Add to the saucepan and return to a boil, whisking until thickened, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in mint.
- Sprinkle drumsticks with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the drumsticks until crispy on all sides and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, about 15 minutes total. Serve the drumsticks with the dipping sauce on the side. Broiler variation: Position oven rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat broiler to high. Prepare sauce (Step 2). Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle drumsticks with salt and pepper (Step 3), then broil, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, about 15 minutes total.
- To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Don't use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Nutrition Per serving:
255 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 389 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (27% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 other carbohydrate