Chopped Tandoori Chicken Salad
Tandoori chicken is a traditional Northern Indian dish of spiced yogurt-marinated chicken cooked in a clay oven. In this tandoori chicken salad recipe we grill chicken and toss it in a salad with grilled tomatoes and cucumber.
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 60
Total Time: 60
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 European cucumber, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Whisk 1/2 cup yogurt, garlic, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon garam masala, coriander, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Place chicken in a sealable gallon-size plastic bag and add the yogurt mixture. Close the bag and massage the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Twenty minutes before you are ready to grill, preheat grill to medium-high.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard the remaining marinade). Take the chicken and tomatoes out to the grill. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Place the chicken on the hottest part of the grill. Skewer the tomatoes or place in a grill basket. Grill the chicken, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Grill the tomatoes, turning or stirring occasionally, until slightly charred, 5 to 6 minutes. Let cool while you prepare the dressing and the rest of the salad.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon each cumin and garam masala and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk in cilantro, vinegar, oil and cayenne. Add romaine, cucumber and chickpeas. Chop the chicken and add to the salad; toss well. Serve with the tomatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate chicken for up to 24 hours. | Equipment: Skewers or grill basket
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Nutrition Per Serving: 459 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 9 g fiber; 698 mg sodium; 1159 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (193% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (44% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Zinc (26% dv), Calcium & Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 nofat milk, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat