A tandoori-inspired spice rub and smokiness from the grill flavor these tofu “steaks.” While you’re there, grill some vegetables, too, to serve alongside. Serve with: Grilled eggplant and cherry tomato skewers and brown basmati rice.
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 14-ounce packages extra-firm or firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons sliced scallions or chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, coriander and turmeric in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, lime juice and the spice mixture; cook, stirring, until sizzling and fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Slice each tofu block crosswise into 6 slices; pat dry. Use about 3 tablespoons of the spiced oil to brush both sides of the tofu slices; sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. (Reserve the remaining spiced oil.)
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the tofu until it has grill marks and is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Combine yogurt with the reserved spiced oil in a small bowl. Serve the grilled tofu with the yogurt sauce, garnished with scallions (or cilantro), if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Kitchen Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Nutrition Per Serving: 173 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 419 mg sodium; 224 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (31% daily value).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat