Thyme-Braised Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts braised in broth and thyme is a surprisingly simple preparation that yields rich and savory results.
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Yield: 4 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the shallots are starting to brown and the Brussels sprouts are browned in spots, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
88 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 311 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Folate (20% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat