Toasted Oat & Apple Crumble
Toasting the oats brings out a rich nutty flavor in this apple crumble.
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine toasted oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, apple-juice concentrate and oil in a bowl.
- Spread the apples in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the oat mixture over apples and bake until browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
264 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 75 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat