Tofu au Vin for Two
You don’t have to be a vegetarian to love this meat-free twist on the classic French dish coq au vin (chicken and mushrooms simmered in a red-wine sauce). Serve with: Whole-wheat egg noodles and sautéed spinach.
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
Yield: 2 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 7 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 medium carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 clove clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light- to medium-bodied red wine, such as Beaujolais Nouveau, Merlot or Pinot Noir
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Drain, rinse and pat tofu dry; cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, stirring every 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes total. Transfer the tofu to a shallow dish big enough to fit it in one layer. Sprinkle with vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; gently toss to combine.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, garlic and bay leaf; cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, until they release their liquid, 3 to 5 minutes more. Sprinkle the vegetables with flour; stir to coat.
- Add wine, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to the pan and cook, stirring, until the wine has reduced slightly and the sauce has thickened, 4 to 6 minutes more. Return the tofu to the pan, add butter and stir until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving: 307 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 641 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (103% daily value), Calcium (23% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat