Tofu & Vegetable Stew
A predominance of umami ingredients (tofu, miso, eggs, soy sauce) make this chunky vegetable stew recipe wonderfully hearty. Use firm silken tofu if you prefer a soft texture; opt for regular firm tofu for more chew.
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Yield: 5 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 40
Total Time: 40
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated or minced fresh ginger
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup snipped dulse or arame seaweed
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 12- to 14-ounce packages firm tofu, silken or regular, drained if necessary, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup white miso (see Tip)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and ginger; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cabbage; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth, add seaweed and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Add corn, return to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Add tofu and cook until hot, about 3 minutes. Stir in miso and cook 1 minute more.
- Drizzle eggs onto the surface of the stew and let simmer, undisturbed, until the eggs are just set, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add scallions and vinegar; gently stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Miso is a fermented soybean paste that adds flavor to dishes like soups, sauces and salad dressings. White or sweet miso (Shiromiso), made with soy and rice, is yellow and milder in flavor; use for soup, salad dressings and sauces for fish or chicken. Look for it near tofu at well-stocked supermarkets. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least a year.
Nutrition Per Serving: 251 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 4 g fiber; 987 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (34% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron & Potassium (18% dv), Folate & Magnesium (17% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat