This simple relish of chopped tomato, red onion, Kalamata olives, fragrant with fresh basil and garlic, makes an excellent spread for sandwiches. Fold leftovers into an omelet or toss with whole-grain pasta and some Parmesan cheese.
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Yield: About 1 cup
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 small tomato, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 6 Kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine tomato, onion, olives, basil, garlic, vinegar and pepper in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Nutrition Per 1/4-cup serving:
37 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 96 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
0 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: Free food