Tortellini with Tomato-Basil Sauce
Serve with a low-fat Caesar salad and breadsticks
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with tomato sauce and basil. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
Nutrition Per serving:
317 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat