Tortellini & Zucchini Soup
Everyone knows tortellini make a quick weeknight pasta dinner—but they also add substance that turns this quick, colorful vegetable soup into a meal. One caveat: Read the label carefully; avoid pasta products made with hydrogenated oils or unnecessary preservatives. Enjoy this soup with a slice of multigrain baguette and a spinach salad.Yield: 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 40
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 9 ounces (about 2 cups) fresh or frozen tortellini, preferably spinach-&-cheese
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; stir, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and just beginning to brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and zucchini; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add tortellini and tomatoes and simmer until the tortellini are plump and the tomatoes are beginning to break down, 6 to 10 minutes. Stir vinegar into the hot soup just before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||8 g (2 g sat, 4 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (80% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat