Tropical Fruit Smoothie
A blend of tropical fruits makes a refreshing breakfast smoothie. You can boost the fiber content by adding a sprinkling of oat or wheat bran, if you like.
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: 3 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup cubed fresh or canned pineapple
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup silken tofu, or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup frozen passion fruit concentrate
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon wheat bran, or oat bran (optional)
- Combine pineapple, banana, tofu (or yogurt), passion fruit concentrate, water, ice cubes and wheat bran (or oat bran), if using, in a blender; cover and blend until creamy. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per serving:
109 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 26 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk