Tuna Noodle Casserole
Just like mom used to make—only healthier and updated with fresh flavors like sun-dried tomatoes and toasted pine nuts.
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 90
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 6 ounces dried wide egg noodles
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 9-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, or basil
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread pine nuts in a shallow pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly browned; set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°F. Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in hot water in a small bowl until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water until al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile pulse reserved tomatoes, onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add milk and bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in mayonnaise, tuna, cheese and parsley (or basil). Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Gently mix reserved noodles into tuna mixture and spoon into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved pine nuts.
- Bake casserole for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 8. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Selenium (47% dv), Calcium (23% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 milk, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat