Turkey Burgers with Mango Chutney
Mango chutney and grilled red onion flavor this quick turkey burger. Serve with grilled baby red potatoes and a frosty beer.
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney (see Tips), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side.
- Finely chop enough onion rounds to equal 1/3 cup. Combine the chopped onion with turkey, 1 tablespoon chutney and salt in a medium bowl; gently mix with your hands until well combined. Form into 4 burgers, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the shape of the bread.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the remaining onion rounds until softened and blackened in spots, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill the burgers until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Grill the bread, cut-side down, until just beginning to char on the edges, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the remaining mango chutney on the bottom pieces of baguette. Top with a turkey burger, grilled onion and lettuce. Cover with the remaining bread.
Tips & Notes
- Look for prepared mango chutney—a sweet, tangy and spicy condiment—near other Indian ingredients in the international aisle at most supermarkets.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Nutrition Per Serving: 345 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 735 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value)
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat