Turkey Tenderloin with Cranberry-Shallot Sauce
Turkey and cranberry sauce is delicious any time of year. To help keep this recipe fast, sear the tenderloins and get them in the oven first, then prep the shallots, thyme and cranberries and make your sauce. If you like sweeter cranberry sauce, you may want to add another tablespoon of brown sugar. Serve with: Mashed sweet potatoes, sautéed Brussels sprouts and a glass of Riesling.
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 turkey tenderloins (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fruit-flavored vinegar, such as raspberry or pomegranate
- Preheat to 450°F.
- Sprinkle turkey tenderloins with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey and cook, turning to brown all sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a baking sheet. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°, 15 to 25 minutes (depending on the sizes).
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 minutes. Add thyme and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add broth and cook, scraping up any browned bits, for 1 minute. Stir in fresh and dried cranberries and cook until most of the fresh cranberries have broken down, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir brown sugar, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt into the sauce; cook for 1 minute. Cover and remove from the heat.
- Let the turkey rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes. Thinly slice; serve with the sauce.
Nutrition Per Serving: 202 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 428 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat