Smoked Turkey, Kale & Rice Bake
This hearty one-skillet dinner is loaded with celery, kale, tomatoes and quick-cooking brown rice. It’s easy to make the recipe vegetarian by substituting smoked tofu for the turkey.
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 40
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 4 cups slivered kale leaves
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-fat, no-salt-added cottage cheese
- 1 cup instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 6 ounces smoked turkey breast or smoked tofu, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add kale and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, turkey (or tofu), water and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir the rice mixture, increase the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread cheese on top. Broil until the cheese is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (147% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat