Creamy Turnip Soup
In this recipe, the humble turnip is transformed into a rich turnip soup made creamy with just 1 tablespoon of butter. Serve it as a starter or side soup. The mini salad on top is optional, but we love the bit of texture from the greens and pop of flavor from the vinaigrette.
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 pounds) plus 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced turnip greens or spinach, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Peel and slice turnips. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the turnips, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the turnips are tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, toss the turnip greens (or spinach) in a medium bowl with carrot, scallion greens, vinegar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup in the pan using an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender and blend until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Serve each portion of soup topped with a generous 1/4 cup of the salad.
Nutrition Per Serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (49% dv)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat