Tuscan Spinach, Bean & Sausage Soup
Pantry staples like cannellini beans, frozen spinach and chicken broth make this soup a snap to throw together on a busy weeknight. Make it a meal: Serve with crusty whole-grain bread and sliced tomatoes.
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Yield: 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 link hot Italian-style turkey sausage
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces frozen cut-leaf spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring sausage and 1/4 inch water to a simmer in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until water evaporates, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to cook until the sausage is browned on all sides, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to a cutting board; when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Combine the sausage, beans, broth, garlic, spinach and marjoram in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese just before serving.
Nutrition Per serving:
137 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 7 g fiber; 778 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (133% daily value), Folate (42% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable