Roasted Vegetable Antipasto
A zesty vinaigrette makes these roasted Brussels sprouts, fennel, carrots and beets pop. If you can’t find small carrots, halve larger ones crosswise then quarter lengthwise. Serve this vegetable antipasto as a side dish or appetizer.
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Yield: 6 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 60
- 12 medium Brussels sprouts
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 12 very small, thin carrots (8 ounces)
- 1 large beet, preferably golden, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced (optional)
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Trim and halve Brussels sprouts; toss with 1 teaspoon oil in a medium bowl. Spread in a single layer on half of a large baking sheet. Toss fennel in the bowl with another 1 teaspoon oil; spread on the other half of the pan. Toss carrots in the bowl with another 1 teaspoon oil and spread on half of a second baking sheet. Toss beet slices with another 1 teaspoon oil; spread on the other half of the pan. Sprinkle the vegetables with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Roast the vegetables, stirring once halfway through and rotating the baking sheets top to bottom and front to back, until soft and beginning to caramelize, 25 to 30 minutes. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Add lemon juice, capers and anchovy (if using). Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil; drizzle over the vegetables.
Nutrition Per Serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (57% dv)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat