Vegetable & Sausage Skillet Supper
This satisfying supper is a great way to use up leftover rice and those pesky bits of leftover vegetables that always manage to clog the crisper. Serve with some grated cheese on top and some warm cornbread alongside.Yield: 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 8 ounces low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- Cook kielbasa in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, turning from time to time, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to the pan. Add onions, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice, beans and water; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved kielbasa and season with hot sauce. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook brown rice: Place 2/3 cup brown rice, 1 2/3 cups water and a pinch of salt, if desired, in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cover; cook over low heat until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes. Makes about 2 cups.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||6 g (1 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 3
Exchanges 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 fat