Vegetables & Pork over Chinese Noodles
The sweet-and-spicy sauce flavors the wide lo mein noodles and accentuates the vegetables.
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon dry sherry, divided
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 pound Chinese wheat noodles, (wide lo mein noodles) or linguine
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 cups snow peas, (6 ounces), tough strings and ends removed
- Combine cornstarch, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of the sherry in a medium bowl. Add pork and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken broth, hoisin, brown sugar, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce and remaining 1/4 cup sherry in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling, salted water for 5 to 6 minutes, or until just tender or as label directs. Drain and refresh under cold water.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok over high heat. Add pork and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove the pork from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, ginger and red-pepper flakes. Stir-fry for 45 seconds. Add water, carrots and scallions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add yellow pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the reserved broth mixture and snow peas and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Return the pork and reserved noodles to the pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Cook for 1 minute, or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per serving:
388 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 11 g fiber; 484 mg sodium; 494 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (98% daily value), Vitamin C (83% dv), Vitamin A (72% dv), Magnesium (33% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Folate (17% dv).
4 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat