Veggie Egg Salad
Crunchy carrot, cucumber and scallions are a colorful addition to this vegetarian egg salad recipe. Pack it with some crunchy crackers and tomatoes for a healthy, light lunch.
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Yield: 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber, peeled and seeded if desired
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, pepper and salt in a medium bowl.
- Halve eggs and discard 4 of the yolks (or save for another use). Add whites and the remaining 4 yolks to the bowl and mash to desired consistency. Gently stir in carrot, cucumber and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Nutrition Per Serving: 135 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 189 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber; 314 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat