Very Merry Punch
There was a time when every household had its own recipe for spiced hot-wine punch. Folks would roam from house to house testing each one. With the blend of flavors in this punch, revelers might never move on to other houses on the block.Yield: 12 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 10
Total Time: 25
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 750-ml bottles hearty red wine, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 orange, halved and sliced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
- 4 whole star anise
- 1/2 cup orange curaçao
- Place water and brown sugar in a Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine, apple, orange, pineapple and star anise. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in orange curaçao and cook for 5 minutes more. Discard star anise. Serve the punch in heat-safe wineglasses or coffee cups, spooning a little fruit into each glass.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||0 g (0 g sat, 0 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 2 other carbohydrates, 1 alcohol equivalent
From EatingWell November/December 2009