Virgin Garden-Fresh Bloody Mary
Make this zesty garden-fresh drink when summer tomatoes and peppers are at their peak.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 135
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed and seeded
- 2-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 caperberries, (see Shopping Tip) or large green olives for garnish
- 4 pickled dilly beans, for garnish
Puree tomatoes in a blender with lemon juice, jalapeños, horseradish to taste, Worcestershire, sugar, celery salt and pepper, scraping down the sides as necessary. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Spear caperberries (or olives) and dilly beans on toothpicks to garnish the drinks.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Capers are dried and pickled small flower buds from a shrub native to the Mediterranean. Caperberries are the more mature fruit produced by the shrub. They are about the size of an olive, starchier than the smaller caper and usually sold with the stem still attached. They typically used as a drink garnish, but can also be served as an appetizer—like olives. Look for them in well-stocked supermarkets near olives and pickles or find them online at tienda.com.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||0 g (0 g sat, 0 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1 vegetable
From EatingWell July/August 2009