Warm Chicken Salad with Bows
This combination of simple ingredients results in a sophisticated warm pasta salad.
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 12 ounces whole-wheat bow-tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichokes, thawed
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until golden and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok over high heat. Add chicken pieces and sauté until no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the wok. Add peppers, shallots and garlic, and sauté until the peppers are tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Add to the reserved chicken.
- Add broth, vinegar and rosemary to the pan and bring to a boil. Add artichokes and the reserved pasta and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Return the reserved chicken mixture to the pan and toss with the pasta. Taste and adjust seasoning and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve warm.
Nutrition Per serving:
355 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 93 mg sodium; 536 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Potassium & Selenium (15% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat