Warm Winter Salad for Two
Sautéed radicchio, fennel and carrots are topped with chicken, walnuts and Gorgonzola in this warm and hearty main-dish salad. Serve with crusty whole-grain baguette.Yield: 2 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pear, sliced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small head radicchio, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 6 large butter lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola, or goat cheese
- Poach chicken (see Tip). Use 2 forks to shred into bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Whisk shallot, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl; add to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add the cooked chicken, radicchio, fennel, carrot and walnuts. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Return the pears to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide lettuce leaves between 2 plates. Top with the warm chicken salad and sprinkle with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- To poach chicken, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||17 g (5 g sat, 7 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1 1/2
Exchanges 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat