Watermelon Agua Fresca
This refreshing drink is served by roadside vendors all over Mexico. Not too much fruit, not too much sugar, just a beautiful way to quench your thirst on a summer day.
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Yield: about 10 cups
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 4 1/4 hours (including 4 hours chilling time)
- 8 cups cubed seeded watermelon, (about 6 pounds with the rind), divided
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 liter (4 cups) club soda, or seltzer water, well chilled
- Lime slices, for garnish
- Combine half the watermelon, half the water and half the sugar in a blender; puree. Pour through a coarse strainer into a large container. Repeat with the remaining watermelon, water and sugar. Stir in lime juice. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours.
- To serve, stir in club soda (or seltzer) and garnish with lime.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per Serving: 64 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 144 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit