White Bean Spread
You can't beat this easy spread, made with fiber-rich canned beans, for convenience and taste. Keep some on hand to layer with vegetables for sandwiches or spread over toasted country bread for a delicious bruschetta.
From EatingWell: November/December 1998, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: about 3 cups
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, (white kidney beans), rinsed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Combine beans, oil, lemon juice, cayenne, salt and black pepper in a food processor; process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl; stir in scallions and dill.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Per Serving: 25 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 44 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food