Wild Mushroom Stuffing
Wild mushrooms make an amazing, rich base for a stuffing for Thanksgiving dinner. This stuffing includes diced turkey liver, which gives it an intense, deep flavor. If you’re not a liver lover or if you’re serving vegetarians, you can omit it from the recipe. (Recipe adapted from Alice Waters.)
Yield: 10 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 60
Total Time: 105
- 10 cups day-old bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 turkey liver or 2 chicken livers, diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 pounds chanterelle mushrooms or mixed wild mushrooms, stemmed, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place bread in a large bowl and toss with milk. Let stand, tossing or stirring occasionally, until saturated.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven or large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add liver and cook, stirring once or twice, until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and butter to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the mushroom have softened and the liquid released has evaporated, 8 to 12 minutes. Add to the bowl with the liver.
- Drain and squeeze the bread and add to the bowl with the mushroom mixture (discard any remaining milk). Add parsley, thyme, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Stir in eggs. Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until heated through and golden on top, about 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Remove from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F until hot and golden, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat