Wild Rice Pilaf with Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts
Wild rice is intensely aromatic so it’s a great match for the bold flavors of saffron and Madeira in this wild rice pilaf recipe. Roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts studded on top give it a festive look and help make it filling enough for a vegetarian main dish.
Yield: 6 main-dish (1 1/2 cups) or 12 side-dish (3/4 cup) servings
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 105
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 cup Madeira, preferably medium dry, or sherry
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice (about 10 ounces)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 2 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron
- 2 cups halved Brussels sprouts
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushroom liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Whisk Madeira (or sherry) and tomato paste in a small bowl; add to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the liquid turns syrupy and is almost absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add wild rice, tomatoes, broth, water, saffron and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the rice is tender and most of the grains are “popped,” 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts and sweet potato with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender and browned in spots, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- When the rice is done, arrange the roasted vegetables decoratively on top of it. Transfer the skillet to the oven to heat through before serving, 5 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (107% daily value), Vitamin A (97% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Folate & Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat