Wild Rice Stuffing with Apple & Sausage
This amazing wild-rice stuffing recipe is bursting with rustic fall flavors, including rye bread, sausage, apples, dried cherries, pecans and fresh herbs.
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Yield: 14 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 1 1/4 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups wild rice (8 ounces)
- 4 cups cubed Jewish rye bread (1/2-inch cubes), preferably day-old
- 1 pound sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 2 tart apples, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place rice in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by about 1 1/2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour. (Or prepare according to package directions.) Drain well.
- Meanwhile, spread bread on a baking sheet; bake, stirring once halfway through, until dry and crisp, about 25 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°. Coat a 3- to 4-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- About 15 minutes before the rice is done, cook sausage and leeks in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until the sausage is browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add apples and celery; cook for 3 minutes more.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a large bowl. Add the rice and bread, then stir in broth, cherries, pecans, marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake the stuffing for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until the top is browned, 15 to 20 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare rice (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; toast bread (Step 3), cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per Serving: 290 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 5 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (17% daily value), Folate (15% dv)
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat