Wok-Seared Chicken Tenders with Asparagus & Pistachios
Here's an East-meets-West stir-fry that will soon become a family favorite. Serve it over rice with a simple salad of arugula and orange sections dressed in a light vinaigrette.
From EatingWell: April/May 2005, The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound chicken tenders, (see Ingredient Note), cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon oyster-flavored sauce
- 1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 cup shelled salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add asparagus; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Stir in scallions, ginger, oyster sauce and chile-garlic sauce; cook, stirring, until the chicken is juicy and just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in pistachios and serve immediately.
- Ingredient Notes: Chicken tenders, virtually fat-free, are a strip of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breast, but they can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded "chicken fingers."
- Chile-garlic sauce is a blend of ground red chiles, garlic and vinegar and is commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 year.
Nutrition Per serving:
208 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 175 mg sodium; 326 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (35% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable , 4 very lean meat, 1 fat