Wok-Seared Chicken & Vegetables (Kadhai murghi)
This colorful stir-fry combines green bell pepper, orange carrots and red onion along with spice-coated chicken for a delicious result. The cooking happens quickly, so it's a good idea to measure out and prepare all the ingredients in the recipe before you fire up the wok. Enjoy the smoky aromas that emanate from the pan and the combination of spices that titillate the taste buds.
Yield: 4 servings, 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 dried red chiles, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Grind coriander, cumin and fennel seeds in a spice grinder (such as a clean coffee grinder) or a mortar and pestle until the mixture resembles coarsely ground pepper. Transfer to a medium bowl and add cornstarch, salt and turmeric; stir to combine. Add chicken and stir until coated with the spice mixture.
- Preheat a wok or a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is shimmering, add carrots, bell pepper, onion, garlic and chiles. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the chicken and seasonings from the bowl and cook, stirring, until no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the vegetables, lime juice and mint and cook until heated through, about 30 seconds.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Iron (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat