Swedish Yellow Split Pea Soup with Ham
This yellow split pea soup has fresh ginger to give it a bright flavor. Use the best ham you can find to get the most flavor.Yield: 8 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 300
- 3 cups yellow split peas (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 8 ounces ham, trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place split peas in a medium bowl. Wash with cold water until the water runs clear; drain and spread in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add broth, water, onion, carrot, celery, ham, ginger and marjoram to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep carrots, celery, ginger and dice ham; refrigerate in separate containers. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||3 g (1 g sat, 1 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (56% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (22% dv), Zinc (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Exchanges 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
From EatingWell January/February 2012