EatingWell Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
Here’s a super-simple zucchini bread recipe. The addition of chocolate chips makes it more like a dessert than a breakfast, but you can enjoy it anytime. Skip the chocolate and try it with toasted walnuts or raisins if you prefer. Freeze 2-cup portions of shredded zucchini so you can make zucchini bread all year long.
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Yield: 1 loaf, 12 slices
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/4 hours
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. | Equipment: 9-by-5-inch loaf pan
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Nutrition Per Serving: 229 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 1/2 fat