Zucchini Chile-Cheddar Mash
This recipe for mashed zucchini with chiles and Cheddar embraces zucchini’s tendency to become very soft when cooked.
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Yield: 4 servings, about 2/3 cup each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini (2-3 medium), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in chiles and salt; cook until heated through, 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher until chunky, not completely smooth. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving: 126 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat