Zucchini-Potato Latkes with Tzatziki
Tzatziki, a flavorful Greek yogurt sauce laced with cucumber, is a tangy accompaniment for these high-fiber latkes. Make it a Meal: Enjoy with sliced fresh tomatoes and a few kalamata olives or put patties and tzatziki (yogurt sauce) in pita pockets for lunch on the go.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 40
- 1 pound zucchini,shredded
- 2 cups shredded cooked potato, (see Note)
- 2 medium shallots, minced, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss zucchini, potato, 3 tablespoons shallot and egg in a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, feta, 1 tablespoon dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Form the mixture into 12 patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties, cover and cook until crispy and browned on one side, 2 to 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the latkes to the prepared pan, browned-side down. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and patties.
- Transfer the latkes to the oven and bake until firm and heated through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare tzatziki: Combine yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, the remaining minced shallot, 1 tablespoon dill and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the latkes with the tzatziki on the side.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Shredded cooked potatoes can be found in the refrigerated produce section or dairy section of most supermarkets.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor into coarse crumbs. One slice makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||12 g (3 g sat, 6 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (35% daily value), Zinc (33% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Magnesium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 1/2 fat