Finely diced zucchini and fresh lemon zest are a simple and tasty addition to plain rice.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots, (about 2 large shallots)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups finely diced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in rice, zucchini, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Combine oil and shallots in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole; microwave on High until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth, rice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, for 7 minutes. 3. Add zucchini and cook until the rice is tender, an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Nutrition Per serving:
218 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (49% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat